Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Albatross

I made the peyote tubes for this bracelet months & months ago and was putting the whole thing together when I realized that one of the little loops was missing on one of the bangle forms. Grr! So I sent the photo showing the missing loop to Fire Mountain and they responded promptly with a new one.

Progress on The Albatross
I tried to put it all together again some time after I got the replacement only to discover that I didn't have enough silver spacers. Grr!

Ordered and received the spacers. Did a bunch of other stuff in the interim and kind of forgot this (but not really). Then I decided to get done with it once & for all! Only I forgot I had ordered and received the spacers. I only remembered that I needed them. So placed another order and when putting them away, I found all the ones I'd ordered before. GRR!!

So last night, feeling taunted and tortured by these beads sitting in a basket next to me, I decided to finish it once and for all. (if only...)

This is what it looks like. It looks finished and also looks like crap. My wire wrapping skills (or lack thereof) really shows. I could do the wrapping on the wire when it was all by itself but not when attached to the bangle. So half of the wraps are ok. The rest are awful.  And on top of that the rainbow colored wire looks bad, too. I tried to do a simple loop instead of the wire wrapping but found that impossible. I need to learn this stuff, folks!
















So tonight I'll take all the wires off and try to figure out a better way to do this. Sadly, I think that even when it's done to my satisfaction, I'd never wear it! It's just so not me. But I had fun planning it and even if the execution was spotty (at best), it was a fun project.

If you have any ideas how to complete this so it doesn't look awful, please let me know! I want to get this albatross off my neck!!

8 comments:

Shirley said...

Girl, you're so funny! What we think is awful, everyone else thinks looks great. You need to remember that this is supposed to be a HANDMADE item, not something from a production line from China. I struggle with wire too, and from everything I've read, it's just a practice thing. Since I don't do a lot, and right now, don't plan to, I just have to be satisfied with the skill I have in it. I have several items I've finished that are "not me", so I totally understand. I think we need to do some giveaways. :)

Amy S. said...

I would just like to say "ditto" to everything Shirley said!!! This bracelet is so pretty and colorful I think it's great!

Torque Story said...

I have my share of "albatrosses," too, Sally. I know the feeling of not being satisfied with something. I have several necklaces that I've taken apart a half-dozen times and still don't think they're right.

The Beading Gem said...

It's not that much of an albatross! Just adding more seed bead tubes might work! Merry Christmas, Sally!

roosterlion@yahoo.ca said...

I love the concept of this bracelet, and your colours are wonderful! The part that does not appeal to me, are the wire wrapped loops...and this is my personal opinion. To me they stick out too far from the base structure, and the loops don't seem to be necessary, and I could just see them get caught on everything and getting bent. At the moment I do not have any suggestions for you. But it is very cool!

Cat said...

I love the design and the colors. What if instead of loops, you made a small spiral at each end? Then bend it over toward the outside of the bracelet so it lays flat on the peyote bead. Not sure if I described it well enough to be understood.

Pretty Things said...

You're doing a GREAT job!

Anonymous said...

ha ha! When I first read this I though it said Albacore. I was like what the heck is Sally doing with a tuna around her neck??!

Hey Sal, a lot of work went into this one, I remember when you were working it before. Why not make it a little smaller and give it to one of your granddaughters in a couple years, they would love the colors!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...